October 4, 2013: Government Extorts Taxes, Then Threatens Your Public Services
1. The White House. New Report Highlights Impacts of Teacher Layoffs, Need to Invest in Education. August 19, 2012. http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2012/08/18/new-report-highlights-impacts-teacher-layoffs-need-invest-education, retrieved October 3, 2013.
2. The White House. Remarks by the President on the Affordable Care Act and the Government Shutdown. October 1, 2013. http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2013/10/01/remarks-president-affordable-care-act-and-government-shutdown, retrieved October 3, 2013.
3. The White House. WEEKLY ADDRESS: Time to Replace the Sequester with a Balanced Approach to Deficit Reduction. April 27, 2013. http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2013/04/27/weekly-address-time-replace-sequester-balanced-approach-deficit-reductio, retrieved October 3, 2013.
October 6, 2013: Democrats Are Beating Children with Their Nanny State
1. United States Senate Democrats. Reid Remarks On A Republican Government Shutdown. September 30, 2013. http://democrats.senate.gov/2013/09/30/reid-remarks-on-a-republican-government-shutdown-2/, retrieved October 6, 2013.
2. United States Senate Democrats. Reid Remarks On The Republican Government Shutdown. October 2, 2013. http://democrats.senate.gov/2013/10/02/reid-remarks-on-the-republican-government-shutdown/, retrieved October 6, 2013.
3. The White House. End This Government Shutdown. October 5, 2013. http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2013/10/04/weekly-address-end-government-shutdown, retrieved October 6, 2013.
4. United States Senate Democrats. Reid Remarks On Hunger And Republican Attempts To Shut Down The Government. September 19, 2013. http://democrats.senate.gov/2013/09/19/reid-remarks-on-hunger-and-republican-attempts-to-shut-down-the-government/, retrieved October 5, 2013.
October 11, 2013: Negotiate is Washington’s Newest Political Lie
1. The White House. Remarks by the President at FEMA Headquarters. October 7, 2013. http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2013/10/07/remarks-president-fema-headquarters, retrieved October 10, 2013.
October 13, 2013: Bipartisan Agreement: Veterans Are Useful Political Tools
1. Congressman Mark Takano. Rep. Takano Issues Statement on Shutdown Threatening Veterans Benefits. October 9, 2013. http://takano.house.gov/media-center/press-releases/rep-takano-issues-statement-on-shutdown-threatening-veterans-benefits, retrieved October 13, 2013.
2. Speaker of the House John Boehner. President Obama, Senate Democrats Refuse to Negotiate As Republicans Work to Reopen Government & Provide Fairness For All. October 6, 2013. http://www.speaker.gov/general/president-obama-senate-democrats-refuse-negotiate-republicans-work-reopen-government-provide, retrieved October 13, 2013.
3. Government Accountability Office. VETERANS’ DISABILITY BENEFITS. Timely Processing Remains a Daunting Challenge. December 2012. What GAO Found.
4. Ibid., p. 9
5. Ibid., p. 7
6. Government Accountability Office. VA EDUCATION BENEFITS. VA Needs to Improve Program Management and Provide More Timely Information to Students. May 2013. p. 9.
7. U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. Appropriations Lapse Plan. http://www.va.gov/opa/ appropriations_lapse_plan.asp, retrieved October 12, 2013.
8. Government Accountability Office. Recovering Servicemembers and Veterans. Sustained Leadership Attention and Systematic Oversight Needed to Resolve Persistent Problems Affecting Care and Benefits. November 2012. Highlights Page: What GAO Found.
October 16, 2013: Fixing America’s Debt: Too Dangerous for Congress?
1. Congressional Budget Office. Federal Debt and the Statutory Limit, September 2013. p. 4.
2. Speaker of the House John Boehner. Speaker Boehner Statement on Senate Passage of the Budget Control Act. August 1, 2011. August 1, 2011. http://www.speaker.gov/press-release/speaker-boehner-statement-senate-passage-budget-control-act, retrieved October 15, 2013.
3. United States Senate Democrats. Reid Announces Appointments To Join Select Committee On Deficit Reduction. August 9, 2011. http://democrats.senate.gov/2011/08/09/reid-announces-appointments-to-joint-select-committee-on-deficit-reduction/, retrieved October 16, 2013.
4. The White House. Remarks by the President on the Government Shutdown. October 3, 2013. http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2013/10/03/remarks-president-government-shutdown, retrieved October 3, 2013.
October 20, 2013: Use Federal Government Waste to Pay Unemployed Americans?
1. The White House. President Obama’s Letter Welcoming Federal Employees Back to Work After Shutdown. October 17, 2013. http://www.whitehouse.gov/blog/2013/10/17/president-obamas-letter-welcoming-federal-employees-back-work-after-shutdown, retrieved October 20, 2013.
2. Bureau of Labor Statistics. Occupational Employment Statistics. May 2012 National Occupational Employment and Wage Estimates United States. September 2013. http://www.bls.gov/oes/ current/oes_nat.htm, retrieved October 20, 2013.
3. Payment Accuracy. High-Error Programs. http://www.paymentaccuracy.gov/high-priority-programs, retrieved October 20, 2013.
5. Payment Accuracy. Do All Improper Payments Represent a Loss to the Government? http://www.paymentaccuracy.gov/about-improper-payments, retrieved October 20, 2013.
6. Payment Accuracy. Overpayments vs. Underpayments (FY 2012). http://www.paymentaccuracy.gov/ govt-wide-over-under-payments, retrieved October 20, 2013.
October 23, 2013: Don’t Let Obama Trade Your Freedom for Dependence
1. The White House. Remarks by the President on the Affordable Care Act. October 21, 2013. http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2013/10/21/remarks-president-affordable-care-act, retrieved October 22, 2013.
3. The White House. Statement by the President. April 17, 2013. http://www.whitehouse.gov/photos-and-video/video/2013/04/17/president-obama-speaks-common-sense-measures-reduce-gun-violence#transcript, retrieved October 22, 2013.
4. The White House. Seniors & Social Security. http://www.whitehouse.gov/issues/seniors-and-social-security, retrieved October 22, 2013.
5. The White House. Weekly Address: Protecting the American People with New Wall Street Reforms. October 27, 2012. http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2012/10/27/weekly-address-protecting-american-people-new-wall-street-reforms, retrieved October 23, 2013.
6. The White House. Fact Sheet: Examples of How the Sequester Would Impact Middle Class Families, Jobs, and Economic Security. http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2013/02/08/fact-sheet-examples-how-sequester-would-impact-middle-class-families-job, retrieved October 22, 2013.
7. The White House. Remarks by the President on the Affordable Care Act. Op. cit.
October 25, 2013: When Will We Get Tired of Funding Needy Special Interests?
1. The White House. Remarks by the President on Immigration Reform. October 24, 2013. http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2013/10/24/remarks-president-immigration-reform, retrieved October 24, 2013.
2. The White House. Congress Must Work Together to Better Serve the American People. Director of the Domestic Policy Council Cecilia Munoz. October 19, 2013. http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2013/10/18/white-house-video-message-congress-must-work-together-better-serve-ameri, retrieved October 24, 2013.
October 26, 2013: Quote of the Week
United States Department of Labor. The Official Blog of the U.S. Department of Labor. Continuing on the Road to Recovery. Secretary Tom Perez. October 22, 2013. http://social.dol.gov/blog/continuing-on-the-road-to-recovery/, retrieved October 26, 2013.
October 27, 2013: Immigration Reform Relies on Lies About American Values
1. The White House. Remarks by the President on Immigration Reform. October 24, 2013. http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2013/10/24/remarks-president-immigration-reform, retrieved October 26, 2013.
2. The White House. Remarks by the President on Health Care Reform. March 3, 2010. http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/remarks-president-health-care-reform, retrieved October 27, 2013.
3. The White House. Remarks by the President on Immigration Reform. Op. cit.
4. ICE. News Releases. Naturalized US citizen charged with immigration fraud for failing to disclose terrorism conviction. October 22, 2013. http://m.ice.gov/news/releases/1310/131022detroit.htm?f=m, retrieved October 27, 2013.
October 30, 2013: Political Promises No Politician Has to Keep
1. The White House. Office of Management and Budget. Fiscal Year 2014 Budget Overview. http://www.whitehouse.gov/omb/overview, retrieved October 29, 2013.
2. HHS.gov/HealthCare. Key Features of the Affordable Care Act By Year. http://www.hhs.gov/ healthcare/facts/timeline/timeline-text.html, retrieved October 29, 2013.
3. United States Department of Labor. The Official Blog of the United States Department of Labor. Continuing on the Road to Recovery. Secretary Tom Perez. October 22, 2013. http://social.dol.gov/blog/continuing-on-the-road-to-recovery/, retrieved October 30, 2013.
4. The White House Blog. “Renewing the American Dream for Folks Like You.” April 28, 2010. http://www.whitehouse.gov/blog/2010/04/28/renewing-american-dream-folks-you, retrieved October 29, 2013.
5. The White House. Statement by the President of the United States. October 16, 2013. http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2013/10/16/statement-president-united-states, retrieved October 29, 2013.
6. Office of Management and Budget. Living Within Our Means and Investing in the Future. September 2011. p. i.