October 28, 2012: Nanny State Protects the Middle Class from GOP Bullies
1. The White House. Office of the Press Secretary. Weekly Address: Protecting the American People with New Wall Street Reforms. October 27, 2012. http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2012/10/27/weekly-address-protecting-american-people-new-wall-street-reforms, retrieved October 28, 2012.
3. The Office of Democratic Whip Steny Hoyer. Hoyer Statement on Republican Efforts to Dismantle Wall Street Reform. May 11, 2011. http://www.democraticwhip.gov/content/hoyer-statement-republican-efforts-dismantle-wall-street-reform, retrieved October 28, 2012.
4. The White House. Op. cit.
5. United States Government Accountability Office. FINANCIAL LITERACY. Overlap of Programs Suggests There May Be Opportunities for Consolidation. July 2012. p. 4
6. U.S. Department of the Treasury. Resource Center. Consumer Policy. http://www.treasury.gov/resource-center/financial-education/Pages/default.aspx, retrieved October 28, 2012.
7. Consumer Financial Protection Bureau. Learn About the Bureau. http://www.consumerfinance.gov/the-bureau/, retrieved October 28, 2012.
8. Consumer Financial Protection Bureau. Consumer Financial Protection Bureau Report Finds Private Student Loan Borrowers Face Roadblocks to Repayment. October 16, 2012. http://www.consumerfinance.gov/pressreleases/consumer-financial-protection-bureau-report-finds-private-student-loan-borrowers-face-roadblocks-to-repayment/, retrieved October 28, 2012.
October 25, 2012: Duty and Ethics in Government Snubbed for Four More Years
1. United States Department of Labor. News Releases. October and September 2012. http://www.dol.gov/opa/media/press/opa/main.htm#.UIic94az7j5, retrieved October 24, 2012.
October 21, 2012: Halting the Sequester Will Be a Historic Betrayal
1. The White House. Office of the Press Secretary. Fact Sheet: Bipartisan Debt Deal: A Win for the Economy and Budget Discipline. http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2011/07/31/fact-sheet-bipartisan-debt-deal-win-economy-and-budget-discipline, retrieved October 20, 2012.
5. United States Senate Democrats. Reid: Senate Bipartisan Compromise Puts The Nation On Track To Fiscal Stability. August 2, 2011. http://democrats.senate.gov/2011/08/02/reid-senate-bipartisan-compromise-puts-the-nation-on-track-to-fiscal-stability/, retrieved October 20, 2012.
6. United States Senate Democrats. Reid Statement On Join [sic] Select Committee. November 21, 2011. http://democrats.senate.gov/2011/11/21/reid-statement-on-joint-select-committee/, retrieved October 21, 2012.
7. Speaker of the House John Boehner. BREAKING: Independent CBO Confirms
Spending Cuts Exceed Debt Limit Hike in Revised GOP Plan; Bill Now Includes $22 Billion in Deficit Reduction in First Year. July 27, 2011. http://www.speaker.gov/general/breaking-independent-cbo-confirms-spending-cuts-exceed-debt-limit-hike-revised-gop-plan-bill, retrieved October 21, 2012.
8. Executive Office of the President. Statement of Administration Policy. H.R. 6365 – National Security and Job Protection Act. September 12, 2012.
October 19, 2012: The Biggest Lie About the Long-Term Unemployed
1. The White House. Office of the Press Secretary. Remarks by the President in Town Hall with Linkedin. September 26, 2011. http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2011/09/26/remarks-president-town-hall-linkedin, retrieved October 18, 2012.
October 18, 2012: Government Spending on Fraud and Waste Boosts Our Bad Economy
1. The White House. Office of the Press Secretary. We Can’t Wait: Agencies Cut Nearly $18 Billion in Improper Payments, Announce New Steps for Stopping Government Waste. November 15, 2011. http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2011/11/15/we-can-t-wait-agencies-cut-nearly-18-billion-improper-payments-announce-, retrieved October 16, 2012.
2. The White House. Office of the Press Secretary. We Can’t Wait: Protecting Taxpayer Dollars from Wasteful Payment Errors and Fraud. April 12, 2012. http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2012/04/12/we-can-t-wait-protecting-taxpayer-dollars-wasteful-payment-errors-and-fr, retrieved October 16, 2012.
3. The White House. Office of the Press Secretary. President Obama to Sign Improper Payments Elimination and Recovery Act. July 22, 2010. http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/president-obama-sign-improper-payments-elimination-and-recovery-act, retrieved October 16, 2012.
4. Hearing Before the Committee on Oversight and Government Reform Subcommittee on Government Organization, Efficiency, and Financial Management. U.S. House of Representatives. “Problems at the Internal Revenue Service: Closing the Tax Gap and Preventing Identity Theft.” Testimony of The Honorable J. Russell George. Treasury Inspector General for Tax Administration. April 19, 2012. p. 20.
6. United States Department of Labor. Figures from Unemployment Insurance (UI) Improper Payments By State. http://www.dol.gov/dol/maps/map-ipia.htm#.UH1DXIaz7j5, retrieved October 16, 2012.
7. U.S. House of Representatives. Uncovering Waste, Fraud, and Abuse in the Medicaid Program. April 25, 2012. p. 3.
October 14, 2012: Buffett Rule Will Not Apply to Tax Gap Deadbeats
1. Internal Revenue Service. The Tax Gap. Tax Gap for Tax Year 2006. Overview. January 6, 2012. http://www.irs.gov/pub/newsroom/overview_tax_gap_2006.pdf, retrieved October 14, 2012. p. 1.
2. Ibid., p. 2.
3. United States Government Accountability Office. TAX ADMINISTRATION. Billions in Self-Employment Taxes Are Owed. February 1999. p. 15.
4. Ibid., p. 23.
5. Ibid., p. 25.
6. United States Government Accountability Office. FEDERAL TAX DEBTS. Factors for Considering a Proposal to Report Tax Debts to Credit Bureaus. September 2012. Highlights page.
7. Ibid., Highlights page.
8. Department of the Treasury. A Closer Look at the Size and Sources of the Tax Gap. July 26, 2006. http://www.treasury.gov/tigta/congress/congress_07262006.pdf, retrieved October 14, 2012. p. 1.
9. Internal Revenue Service. Prepared Remarks of Commissioner of Internal Revenue Douglas H. Shulman before the National Press Club. April 5, 2012. http://www.irs.gov/uac/Prepared-Remarks-of-Commissioner-of-Internal-Revenue-Douglas-H.-Shulman-before-the-National-Press-Club, retrieved October 14, 2012.
10. Paymentaccuracy.gov reports $104 billion in overpayments in FY 2011. http://paymentaccuracy.gov/govt-wide-over-under-payments, retrieved October 14, 2012.
October 12, 2012: States, Politicians, and USCIS Suck Up to Childhood Arrivals
1. Dick Durbin. Durbin Statement on Dream Act and Administration Action to Help Young Immigrants. June 15, 2012. http://durbin.senate.gov/public/index.cfm/pressreleases?ID=070d1061-66c4-45ef-bb34-41da7e1e7d40, retrieved October 11, 2012.
2. Congresswoman Grace F. Napolitano. Reps. Napolitano & Chu Hold Community Forum on Deferred Action. Deferred Action will Mean Brighter Futures for Millions of Youths. August 24, 2012. http://napolitano.house.gov/press-release/reps-napolitano-chu-hold-community-forum-deferred-action, retrieved October 11, 2012.
3. United States Congressman Pete Stark. Encouraging Governor Brown to Sign the TRUST Act into Law. September 13, 2012. Link to letter dated September 13, 2012, in support of the TRUST Act. http://www.stark.house.gov/images/stories/112/letters/20120913trustact.pdf, retrieved October 11, 2012.
4. Senator Chuck Grassley of Iowa. Grassley, Smith Question Process for Deferred Action Application Approvals. October 5, 2012. http://www.grassley.senate.gov/news/Article.cfm?customel_dataPageID_1502=42676, retrieved October 11, 2012.
October 11, 2012: DACA: New Immigration Policy Proves Dreamers Are Dupes and Pawns
1. U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services. Childhood Arrivals Process. Frequently Asked Questions. FAQs updated September 14, 2012. http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.eb1d4c2a3e5b9ac89243c6a7543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=3a4dbc4b04499310VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD&vgnextchannel=3a4dbc4b04499310VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD, retrieved October 8, 2012.
October 7, 2012: No Government Conspiracy, No Jobs, No Retirement Security
1. The Official Blog of the U.S. Department of Labor. Americans Back to Work; Unemployment Rate Drops to 7.8 Percent. Secretary Hilda Solis. October 5, 2012. http://social.dol.gov/blog/, retrieved. October 7, 2012.
2. Bureau of Labor Statistics. The Employment Situation – September 2012. October 5, 2012. pp. 1-2.
3. Harry Reid. Protecting Social Security. http://www.reid.senate.gov/issues/socialsecurity.cfm, retrieved October 7, 2012.
4. Congressional Budget Office. The 2012 Long-Term Projections for Social Security: Additional Information. October 2012. p. 1.
6. Ibid., p. 2.
7. Congressional Budget Office. Economic and Budget Issues Brief. The Retirement Prospects of the Baby Boomers. March 18, 2004. p. 3.
October 5, 2012: Investing in Education Obama Style is a Bad Budget Choice
1. U.S. Department of Education. The Official Blog of the U.S. Department of Education. The State of Education. October 3, 2012. http://www.ed.gov/blog/2012/10/the-state-of-education/, retrieved October 4, 2012.
October 4, 2012: Does Our Take on Popular Sovereignty Defile American Democracy?
1. U.S. Census Bureau. Statistical Abstract of the United States: 2012. p. 244.
2. Ibid., p. 246.