September 1, 2014: Deportation Relief or War? Obama’s Crisis of Indecision.
1. Congressman Luis V. Gutierrez. Rep. Gutierrez: Chicago Will Be Ready for Immigration Administrative Action and Will Be a Model for Other Cities to Follow. August 27, 2014. http://gutierrez.house.gov/ press-release/rep-guti%C3%A9rrez-chicago-will-be-ready-immigration-administrative-action-and-will-be, retrieved September 1, 2014.
September 6, 2014: World-Class Education Costs $11 Million More
1. Illinois Government News Network. Governor Quinn Announces $10 Million Investment in CPS Safe Passage Program. Funding Will Expand Innovative Program to Help Ensure Safe Passage to Chicago Public Schools that Serve More Than 65,000 Students. August 28, 2014. http://www3.illinois.gov/PressReleases/ShowPressRelease.cfm?SubjectID=2&RecNum=12569, retrieved September 6, 2014.
September 7, 2014: Obama Promises an American Life He Won’t Deliver
1. The White House. Weekly Address: Time to Gove the Middle Class a Chance. September 6, 2014. http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2014/09/05/weekly-address-time-give-middle-class-chance, retrieved September 7, 2014.
3. The White House. Remarks by the President at a DCCC Event – Newport, Rhode Island. August 29, 2014. http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2014/09/02/remarks-president-dccc-event-newport-rhode-island, retrieved September 7, 2014.
September 11, 2014: Terror Threat Less Scary Than Washington Politics
1. Speaker of the House John Boehner. Readout of the Speaker’s Meeting with President Obama & Congressional Leaders on ISIL. September 9, 2014. http://www.speaker.gov/press-release/readout-speaker-s-meeting-president-obama-congressional-leaders-isil, retrieved September 9, 2014.
2. Harry Reid. Reid Remarks On President Obama’s Strategy To Destroy ISIS. September 11, 2014. http://www.reid.senate.gov/press_releases/2014-11-09-reid-remarks-on-president-obamas-strategy-to-destroy-isis#.VBHczBbYeoY, retrieved September 11, 2014.
4. Speaker of the House John Boehner. Boehner: Destroying This Terrorist Threat Requires Decisive Action. September 10, 2014. http://www.speaker.gov/press-release/boehner-destroying-terrorist-threat-requires-decisive-action, retrieved September 11, 2014.
September 14, 2014: Genocide Before Plague? Ebola Fights for Attention.
1. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. CDC warns Ebola epidemic in West Africa is outpacing current response. http://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2014/p0902-ebola-epidemic.html, retrieved September 14, 2014.
2. The White House. FACT Sheet: Emergency Supplemental Request to Address the Increase in Child and Adult Migration from Central America in the Rio Grande Valley Areas of the Southwest Border. July 8, 2014. http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2014/07/08/fact-sheet-emergency-supplemental-request-address-increase-child-and-adu, retrieved September 14, 2014.
3. U.S. Department of State. President Obama’s Message on the Ebola Virus. September 2, 2014. http://www.state.gov/p/af/rls/rm/2014/231211.htm, retrieved September 14, 2014.
4. U.S. Department of State. Statement on Iraq. August 7, 2014. http://www.state.gov/secretary/remarks/2014/08/230401.htm, retrieved September 14, 2014.
September 18, 2014: Domestic Abuse and Diversity: Too Easy to Exploit?
1. Congressman Jerrold Nadler. Conyers and 10 Other House Judiciary Democrats Seek Answers from NFL in Ray Rice Domestic Violence Incident. September 10, 2014. http://nadler.house.gov/press-release/conyers-and-10-other-house-judiciary-democrats-seek-answers-nfl-ray-rice-domestic, retrieved September 18, 2014.
2. The White House. Remarks by the President on Equal Pay for Equal Work. April 8, 2014. http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2014/04/08/remarks-president-equal-pay-equal-work, retrieved September 18, 2014.
3. The White House Blog. Welcoming Katherine Archuleta, the First Latina Director of the Office of Personnel Management. November 4, 2013. http://www.whitehouse.gov/blog/2013/11/04/welcoming-katherine-archuleta-first-latina-director-office-personnel-management, retrieved September 18, 2014.
September 21, 2014: Taunting Conservatives or Blaming Democrats?
1. Nancy Pelosi. Speaker Boehner on Immigration Reform: ‘Sooner We Do It, The Better Off” We Are. September 18, 2014. http://www.democraticleader.gov/newsroom/speaker-boehner-immigration-reform-sooner-better/, retrieved September 21, 2014.
2. Speaker of the House John Boehner. Boehner Calls for Stronger Border Protections, Full Enforcement of Immigration Laws. May 21, 2007. http://www.speaker.gov/press-release/boehner-calls-stronger-border-protections-full-enforcement-immigration-laws, retrieved September 21, 2014.
September 21, 2014: How Does a Powerful Nation Deny Responsibility?
1. The White House. Weekly Address: The World Is United in the Fight Against ISIL. September 21, 2014. http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2014/09/20/weekly-address-world-united-fight-against-isil, retrieved September 21, 2014.
2. Mike Thompson. Thompson Votes Against Arming Syrian Opposition Groups to Fight ISIL. September 17, 2014. http://mikethompson.house.gov/newsroom/press-releases/thompson-votes-against-arming-syrian-opposition-groups-to-fight-isil, retrieved September 21, 2014.
3. Nancy Pelosi. Pelosi Statement on President’s Address on ISIS. September 10, 2014. http://www.democraticleader.gov/newsroom/pelosi-statement-presidents-address-isis/?utm_source=DCS+Congressional+E-mail+Marketing+System&utm_medium=Email&utm_term=http%3a%2f%2fwww.democraticleader.gov%2fnewsroom%2fpelosi-statement-presidents-address-isis%2f&utm_campaign=Freedom+from+Fear, retrieved September 21, 2014.
4. Harry Reid. Reid Statement On Bipartisan Senate Vote To Degrade ISIS in Syria. September 18, 2014. http://www.reid.senate.gov/press_releases/2014-18-09-reid-statement-on-bipartisan-senate-vote-to-degrade-isis-in-syria, retrieved September 21, 2014.
5. The White House. Weekly Address: The World Is United in the Fight Against ISIL. Op. cit.
September 26, 2014: Encouraging Crime: Bad Public Policy or Partisan Politics?
1. The United States Department of Justice. The Attorney General’s Smart on Crime Initiative. August 12, 2013. http://www.justice.gov/ag/attorney-generals-smart-crime-initiative, retrieved September 24, 2014.
2. Congressman Steve Cohen. Cohen Applauds Obama Administration’s Newly-Expanded Criteria for Executive Clemency. April 21, 2014. http://cohen.house.gov/press-release/cohen-applauds-obama-administrations-newly-expanded-criteria-executive-clemency, retrieved September 25, 2014.
3. U.S. Congressman Bobby L. Rush. U.S. Rep. Bobby L. Rush Opposition to Today’s Passage Of House Mandatory Minimum Sentencing Gang Bill Rush Says Key To Curbing Gangs Is Intervention And Prevention – Not Mandatory Minimum Sentencing. May 11, 2005. http://rush.house.gov/press-release/us-rep-bobby-l-rush-opposition-todays-passage-house-mandatory-mininum-sentencing-gang, retrieved September 25, 2014.
4. Congressman Bobby Scott. Fair Sentencing Act of 2010. July 28, 2010. http://bobbyscott.house.gov/media-center/floor-statements/fair-sentencing-act-of-2010, retrieved July 28, 2010.
5. The House Committee On Judiciary Democrats. Ranking Member Conyers Statement at Over-Criminalization Task Force Hearing. May 20, 2014. http://democrats.judiciary.house.gov/opening-statement/ranking-member-conyers-statement-overcriminalization-task-force-hearing, retrieved September 25, 2014.
6. California Secretary of State Main Website. California General Election. Prop 47. Criminal Sentences, Misdemeanor Penalties, Initiative Statute. http://voterguide.sos.ca.gov/en/propositions/47/arguments-rebuttals.htm, retrieved September 26, 2014.
September 27, 2014: Flight Delay Chaos: Did FAA Modernization Forget O’Hare?
1. Federal Aviation Administration. NextGEN. Airport: Chicago O’Hare International Airport. http://www.faa.gov/Nextgen/snapshots/airport/?locationId=41, retrieved September 27, 2014.
3. Federal Aviation Administration. Michael Huerta. Speech – “Bigger, Better, Safer.” September 8, 2014. http://www.faa.gov/news/speeches/news_story.cfm?newsId=16994. Retrieved September 27, 2014.
5. Federal Aviation Administration. Press Release – Updated FAA Statement – Event at Chicago Air Traffic Facility. September 26, 2014. https://www.faa.gov/news/press_releases/news_story.cfm?newsId=17216&cid=TW253, retrieved September 27, 2014.
September 28, 2014: Electronic Records: Federal Systems Still Work for Crooks
1. United States Government Accountability Office. IDENTITY THEFT. Additional Actions Could Help IRS Combat the Large, Evolving Threat of Refund Fraud. August 2014. What GAO Found.
2. Ibid. p. 14.
3. United States Government Accountability Office. Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act. Preliminary Results of Undercover Testing of Enrollment Controls for Health Care Coverage and Consumer Subsidies Provided Under the Act. July 2014. What GAO Found.
5. United States Government Accountability Office. HEALTHCARE.GOV. Information Security and Privacy Controls Should Be Enhanced to Address Weaknesses. September 18, 2014. What GAO Found.
6. Office of the Inspector General. Social Security Administration. “Operation Walking Dead”: 18 Charged With Committing $1 Million in Social Security Fraud. September 4, 2014. http://oig.ssa.gov/audits-and-investigations/investigations/operationwalkingdead, retrieved September 28, 2014.
7. United States Government Accountability Office. SOCIAL SECURITY DEATH DATA. Additional Actions Needed to Address Data Errors and Federal Agency Access. November 2013. p. 1.
8. Ibid., What GAO Found.