Did the governors listening to the nuances of the Obama takeover of federal and state budgets during their get-together in Washington understand that they were being handed two death sentences, one from federal spending and the other from the money they will have to come up with to fulfill their end of the bargain? Spending on education, health care, public employee salaries, and the rest of the package the president is pushing as an alternative to fiscal sanity would hit state bottom lines hard and guarantees subservience to federal generosity and handouts.
Is the Obama takeover a vision hardworking Americans can endorse?
We have all heard the bit about hardworking Americans being rewarded, but the kind of hard work Joe Biden joined the president to promote has nothing to do with working hard:
And I think we’re all — I’ve never met a Democrat or Republican who’s been a governor who doesn’t think that the American people should have the sense that hard work is going to be rewarded, that there’s a chance that if you work hard, you got an opportunity.¹
The Democratic perversion of hard work is only rewarded if the government has stepped in to set the stage because even if you get a good job, it might not pay off without a federal helping hand:
And how do we make sure if they get those jobs that their hard work actually pays off?²
Obama’s vision means only fools believe in hard work.
Suspicion and mistrust drive the White House campaign to remove the responsibility for economic prosperity from the business sector. The president’s use of “hard work” turns the term into a Democratic slogan (see: These Words Will Help You Spread Lies Like a Liberal), corrupting whatever nose to the grindstone associations it used to carry and confusing what hardworking Americans represent. This is an essential part of the Obama takeover strategy because we have to discard long-held beliefs and values to make room for the president’s destructive vision for the economy.
This is what hard work means to the president and his supporters:
1. If you don’t work hard and you screw up, the government will bail you out.
2. If you break the law to live in America so you can work, the government will reward you.
3. If you would rather strike than teach you deserve more money.
4. If you have no skills you deserve to earn at least $9.00/hr.
5. If your expertise is in clean energy the government will help you until you go bankrupt.
6. If you can’t legally work in the U.S. you deserve to be a citizen so you can.
7. If you are a public employee your position should be more secure because part of the government’s job is to keep unions happy.
8. If you can lip synch for Barack Obama you deserve a Cabinet post.
9. Your hard work as a union member on infrastructure projects pays more thanks to Davis-Bacon, even though your wages come from public money (see: The Recovery Act Fraud You Don’t Know About).
10. If you are an illegal immigrant without a work permit not only do you work hard, you are already paying your fair share.
This is what hard work means to hardworking Americans:
1. If you make a lot of money you are cheating the middle class.
2. If you work hard and hit a rough patch because of the economy your president will make things worse.
3. Your best efforts may result in the opportunity to lose your job because of government policies that have nothing to do with you or your profession.
4. If you believe in working harder so you can make more money you have more responsibility for the well-being of those who don’t.
And worst of all, for you job creators out there:
5. If you are a business owner who works hard, it is open season on YOU.