Are Democrats waking up to what they have done? Are they on the run from the damage created by their belief that something good will come from their recession-enabled opportunism? The party speaks of teachers unable to earn a decent living, illegals discriminated against in their new country, unemployed Americans with futures stolen by the wealthy, and a war led by Republicans “endangering millions of women.”¹ Is the goal of this damaging political rhetoric to incite government chaos and social upheaval by insisting that America is nothing more than a vehicle to cheat its people?
Government chaos is the inevitable result of political rhetoric that argues against constitutional checks and balances because they interfere with agenda. After the president questioned the authority of the Supreme Court to decide the fate of his health care scheme, Democrats took up another assault on the Constitution, showing disrespect for the court during their campaign against the Citizens United decision. Just like the president’s habit of going to the people when he can’t get his way on Capitol Hill, Congressional Democrats are backing a countrywide “Resolutions Week” effort to gain support to throw out the ruling because they fear that the campaign fundraising scales have been tipped against them:
Throughout the week, officials will introduce local resolutions supporting a constitutional amendment to overturn the infamous Citizens United v. FEC Supreme Court decision, which let corporations and wealthy individuals spend unlimited money on political campaign advertisements.²
Are there benefits to creating government chaos by destroying the separation of powers because they inconvenience the president and members of Congress? Perhaps lawmakers believe that the American people have failed to grasp the beneficial aspects of turmoil that renders our government incapable of reducing the debt, cutting spending, or maintaining the nation’s credit rating.
We should also ask about the payoff for political rhetoric designed to incite social upheaval at the worst possible time, diverting attention from the president’s absolute inability to resuscitate the economy. With five months to go before the 2012 election we have been offered an ugly picture of America with no effort spared to create the illusion of unfairness and discrimination. Is the Democratic portrayal of America a country anyone would want to live in, a place where 1% of the population practices fiscal rape of the other 99%, where public employees who protect us and educate our children are losing their jobs while the private sector flourishes, where the unemployed are jobless because of political obstructionism, where our savings evaporate because of Wall Street greed, and where the middle class has been destroyed so we can make life better for the wealthy?
The Democratic Party has done a clever balancing act with the Occupy Movement, offering faint praise while keeping its distance from what most of us see as anarchy spawned by laziness (see: Occupy Depends on Wall Street for Rights, Justice, and Jobs). Occupiers may be the best symbol we have of social upheaval and the bailout culture created by Democrats and the Obama administration. They loudly demand to share in the rewards the economy still offers but require that others take the risks and make the effort to succeed so they can benefit from the proceeds.
At the heart of current Democratic political rhetoric is a fundamental mistrust of the country and its institutions, a sad perversion of the populism the party used to stand for. As Democrats feel their hold slipping because of constant reminders of failure, their portrayal of America must be increasingly negative to justify their agenda. The real risk is that when they are finished painting their portrait of our country, even voters so misguided as to support this president may not believe that there is anything about America worth saving.