May 30, 2012: How to Tell When the Government Lies
1. Whitehouse.gov. The Obama Administration Record in Focus. Obama Administration Record for Workers. http://www.whitehouse.gov/record, retrieved May 29, 2012.
May 27, 2012: Will Republicans Go to War Over Public School Reform?
1. U.S. Department of Education. ED.gov. National Education Leaders Release Shared Vision for the Next Generation of Teaching During the 2012 Labor Management Conference. May 23, 2012. http://www.ed.gov/news/press-releases/national-education-leaders-release-shared-vision-next-generation-teaching-during, retrieved May 27, 2012.
May 24, 2012: Hiring Mandate to Fix the National Unemployment Rate?
1. Change.gov. The Office of the President-Elect. The Obama-Biden Plan. http://change.gov/agenda/economy_agenda/, retrieved May 22, 2012.
2. United States Department of Labor. Largest April Job Gains in Good-paying Careers. May 4, 2012. http://social.dol.gov/blog/largest-april-job-gains-in-good-paying-careers/, retrieved May 4, 2012.
3. Bureau of Labor Statistics. Mass Layoffs – April 2012. May 22, 2012. p. 1.
4. United States Government Accountability Office. Unemployed Older Workers. Many Face Long-Term Joblessness and Reduced Retirement Security. May 15, 2012. p. 5.
May 20, 2012: If the Republicans Sell Exclusion, the Middle Class Will Buy
1. The White House. Remarks by the President on the Economy in Osawatomie, Kansas. December 6, 2011. http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2011/12/06/remarks-president-economy-osawatomie-kansas, retrieved May 19, 2012.
May 18, 2012: Latino Immigrants Are a Poor Excuse to Push for Immigration Reform
1. The White House. Office of Communications. Remarks of Cecilia Munoz, Domestic Policy Council Director, As Prepared for Delivery. The Hamilton Project at Brookings. National Press Club. May 15, 2012. Linked from: http://www.whitehouse.gov/blog/2012/05/16/cecilia-mu-oz-white-house-director-domestic-policy-delivered-speech-forum-hamilton-p, retrieved May 17, 2012.
2. U.S. Department of Education. Ed.gov. $107.4 Million Awarded to More Than 100 Schools That Focus on Serving Latino Students. September 26, 2011. http://www.ed.gov/news/press-releases/1074-million-awarded-more-100-schools-focus-serving-latino-students, retrieved May 15, 2012.
3. United States Department of Labor. The Latino Labor Force at a Glance. April 5, 2012. p. 1. Linked from http://www.dol.gov/_sec/media/reports/hispaniclaborforce/#foot, retrieved May 17, 2012.
4. Winning the Future. Improving Education for the Latino Community. April 2011. p. 6.
5. The Whitehouse Blog. Improving Latino Education to Win the Future. April 27, 2011. http://www.whitehouse.gov/blog/2011/04/27/improving-latino-education-win-future, retrieved May 17, 2012.
6. Congressman Luis Gutierrez. Gutierrez: Romney Must Make Immigration Position Clear. May 8, 2012. http://www.gutierrez.house.gov/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=756:gutierrez-romney-must-make-immigration-position-clear&catid=51:2012-press-releases, retrieved May 12, 2012.
May 17, 2012: Competitiveness Means Making a Buck Off of Foreign Students
1. Government Accountability Office. Overstay Enforcement. Additional Mechanisms for Collecting, Assessing, and Sharing Data Could Strengthen DHS’s Efforts but Would Have Costs. April 2011. Highlights Page, quoting Pew Hispanic Center estimates.
2. The White House. Office of Management and Budget. The Federal Budget. Fiscal Year 2012. Winning the Future by Giving Every Child a World-Class Education. http://www.whitehouse.gov/omb/factsheet/giving-every-child-a-world-class-education, retrieved May 15, 2012.
3. Homeland Security. DHS Reforms To Attract And Retain Highly Skilled Immigrants. January 31, 2012. http://www.dhs.gov/ynews/fact-sheets/20120131-dhs-retain-highly-skilled-immigrants.shtm, retrieved May 16, 2012.
May 13, 2012: Occupy Depends on Wall Street for Rights, Justice, and Jobs
1. The White House. We the people. Your Voice in Our Government. Recognize the men and women who are occupying wall street. September 23, 2011. https://wwws.whitehouse.gov/petitions/!/petition/recognize-men-and-women-who-are-occupying-wall-street/tX0ZX8Z7, retrieved May 12, 2012.
2. Representative Rush Holt. “Occupy Wall Street” and the American Dream. October 21, 2011. http://holt.house.gov/index.php?option=com_content&task= view&id=955, retrieved May 12, 2012.
3. Bernie Sanders. U.S. Senator for Vermont. Occupy Wall Street. October 14, 2011. http://www.sanders.senate.gov/newsroom/news/?id=cffea241-e65d-47a8-a12a-807e3344e25b, retrieved May 12, 2012.
4. Congressman John F. Tierney. Congressman Tierney Statement on “Occupy Wall Street” Movement. October 5, 2011. http://tierney.house.gov/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=3107&Itemid=500141, retrieved May 13, 2012.
May 10, 2012: Cabinet Members Should Be Help Accountable
1. Homeland Security. Secretary Napolitano’s Remarks on Smart Effective Border Security and Immigration Enforcement. October 5, 2011. http://www.dhs.gov/ynews/speeches/20111005-napolitano-remarks-border-strategy-and-immigration-enforcement.shtm, retrieved May 7, 2012.
2. The United States Department of Justice. Department of Justice Challenges South Carolina’s Immigration Law. October 31, 2011. http://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/2011/October/11-ag-1429.html, retrieved May 8, 2012.
3. The White House. Office of the Press Secretary. Remarks by the President at the National Hispanic Prayer Breakfast. May 12, 2011. http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2011/05/12/remarks-president-national-hispanic-prayer-breakfast, retrieved May 7, 2012.
4. National Economic Council. Rescuing and Rebuilding the U.S. Economy: A Progress Report. Lawrence H. Summers. July 17, 2009. http://www.whitehouse.gov/administration/eop/nec/speeches/rescuing-and-rebuilding-the-us-economy-a-progress-report, retrieved May 9, 2012.
5. Office of the Special Inspector General for the Troubled Asset Relief Program. Factors Affecting the Decisions of General Motors and Chrysler to Reduce their Dealership Networks. July 19, 2010. Summary page.
May 6, 2012: Job Creation Is Not What the Unemployed Need
1. Bureau of Labor Statistics. Monthly Labor Review Online. Job search of the unemployed by duration of unemployment. Randy E. Ilg and Eleni Theodossiou. March 2012, Vol. 135, No. 3. p. 44.
2. United States Department of Labor. Largest April Job Gains in Good-paying Careers. Secretary Hilda L. Solis. May 4, 2012. http://social.dol.gov/blog/largest-april-job-gains-in-good-paying-careers/, retrieved May 6, 2012.
3. Bureau of Labor Statistics. The Employment Situation – April 2012. p. 2.
4. The White House. Council of Economic Advisers. The Employment Situation in March. Alan B. Krueger. April 6, 2012. http://www.whitehouse.gov/ blog/2012/04/06/employment-situation-march, retrieved May 6, 2012.
May 4, 2012: The Biggest Immigration Lie of All: Law Abiding Illegal Immigrants
1. The White House. Office of the Press Secretary. Remarks by the President on Comprehensive Immigration Reform. July 1, 2010. http://www.whitehouse.gov/ the-press-office/remarks-president-comprehensive-immigration-reform, retrieved May 3, 2012.
2. United States House of Representatives. Judiciary’s Subcommittee on Immigration Policy and Enforcement. Document Fraud in Employment Authorization: How an E-Verify Requirement Can Help. Ronald Mortensen, Ph.D. April 18, 2012. p. 1.
3. U.S. Department of Homeland Security. ICE. March 29, 2012. http://www.ice.gov/news/releases/1204/120424fresno.htm, retrieved May 3, 2012.
4. U.S. Department of Homeland Security. ICE. April 26, 2012. http://www.ice.gov/news/releases/1204/120426hattiesburg.htm, retrieved May 3, 2012.
5. U.S. Department of Homeland Security. ICE. March 29, 2012. http://www.ice.gov/news/releases/1203/120329ocala.htm, retrieved May 3, 2012.
May 2, 2012: Unions Vital to Campaign to Deceive Middle Class Workers
1. The White House. Office of the Press Secretary. Remarks by the President at the Building and Construction Trades Department Conference. Washington Hilton Hotel. April 30, 2012. http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2012/04/30/remarks-president-building-and-construction-trades-department-conference, retrieved April 30, 2012.
2. Bureau of Labor Statistics. Union Members – 2011. January 27, 2012.
3. United States Department of Labor. Statement by Secretary of Labor Hilda L. Solis regarding Bureau of Labor Statistics report on union members in 2011. January 27, 2012. http://www.dol.gov/opa/media/press/opa/ OPA20120169.htm, retrieved April 30, 2012.
4. U.S. Department of Education. Ed.gov. Statement by U.S. Secretary of Education Arne Duncan. November 9, 2011. http://www.ed.gov/news/press-releases/statement-us-secretary-education-arne-duncan, retrieved April 30, 2012.
5. The White House. Middle Class Task Force. “A Victory for the Middle Class” in Ohio. Matt Compton. November 9, 2011. http://www.whitehouse.gov/blog/ 2011/11/09/victory-middle-class-ohio, retrieved May 1, 2012.
6. The White House. Office of the Press Secretary. Remarks by the President at Detroit Labor Day Event. September 5, 2011. http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2011/09/05/ remarks-president-detroit-labor-day-event, retrieved May 2, 2012.